Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    Season is about a month or so away at this point so it's time to start looking ahead. Last years LPD race was tight as nails with PV, JJ Kelly, and JI Burton finishing in a 3 way tie. PV wound up winning the playoff and Appalachia ended up as Tournament Champs. All 4 teams advanced to Regions and all 4 lost in round one. Obviously with each new season brings about the fact that certain players are gone from each team, Wilson from JJK, Stewart from Burton, etc. However, what is exciting to me at least is the return of two players who missed last season due to injury Myron Pinkston from PV and Coleman from JIB. Can either push their team over the hump? Heres how I see it going and please feel free to respond with info from your team as after PV my knowledge goes downhill tremendously.

    1. Appy: Dawgs are coming off a LPD Tournament Championship and return a core group of players along with a transfer post player. Biggest Strength for Appy imo is the guard play, Appy's guards dominated the end of the season last year and pretty much single handedly carried them to the title. Biggest Weakness: Depth, Appy is in serious trouble if they get into foul trouble, I'm curious to see if this ends up hurting them on defense.

    2. PV: First regional trip in several years last year and the Vikings return Jordan Martin who has the potential to be the LPD POY. PV will also get back Myron Pinkston and football stud Dakota Cantrell (who should help us greatly in terms of depth). Biggest Strength: Martin, best player in the league in my opinion and plays well in a big game scored 32 last season in round one of the regional tournament. Biggest Weakness: Inexperienced at two vital positions of guard and post, if Garrison and Vaughn can keep their heads above water while adjusting to starting at the varsity level this team could be very special.

    3: JI Burton: Rumors flying that this could be Stan the Man's last season at the helm of the Raiders. You know Wilson will want to go out with a bang, Coleman returns but to me the Raiders just don't have the inside presence needed to win the district, losing Stewart will hurt deeply as he was wrecking crew in the paint last season. Biggest Strength: Coaching, when you have Wilson and Williams on your staff you've got some guys who know what they are doing and how to win. Biggest Weakness: Post play, as I mentioned earlier who replaces Stewart?

    4. JJ Kelly: TJ and the boys always play tough defense and they better do their best Duke Blue Devils impression this year, I just don't see the points. To, me Kelly is going to have to rely a ton of Sophomore Clark who imo works harder than anyone I've seen around here outside of AA at Coeburn. Biggest Strength: Defense, TJ's teams always play in your face defense, this will keep them in many games. Biggest Weakness: Nobody who can put the ball in the basket.

    5. Pound: New coach, same story for the Wildcats. One great player and not much of a supporting cast. Bolling will dominate the interior as the best big man in the league but the question remains can they get the ball to him? Biggest Strength: Erick Bolling, dominate crushing inside player who imo is the third best post player in the region behind Otto Fletcher (Council) and Smith (Twin Valley) Biggest Weakness: Guards, who gets Bolling the ball?

    6: Clintwood: I hope the Green Boys win the state title in football because it's going to be a long season in Dickenson Co. I'm afraid. The Wave lost their best player in Vanover and really I have no clue where they are going to turn. Biggest Strength: The student section can chant lets play football to almost anybody who shows up to play and they have the nicest gym in the LPD. Biggest Weakness: If you were going 8 deep with this bunch I think you would see something like this: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    When you said transfer post at Appy, were you mentioning the 7 footer ES, or a different one?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bkbasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2003
    Posts
    327
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    I heard Burton had a pretty talented guard that transferred from George Wythe. Any truth to that?
    "Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

    Play Like a Champion Today
    [img]http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Michael_Jordan.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    7 foot foreign kid is the word I had. Have you fully recovered from the knee injury bk?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    Anybody have any info on the Clinch, Cumberland, or BDD?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bkbasketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2003
    Posts
    327
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    7 foot.. thats huge.

    and yes sir I'm good to go.
    "Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

    Play Like a Champion Today
    [img]http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Michael_Jordan.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 722</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you said transfer post at Appy, were you mentioning the 7 footer ES, or a different one? </div></div>

    Dang how many more do you need LOL

    Everything I had heard comeing into the year is that Appy would be the team to beat in Div 1 this season

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    I wish we played you guys, since Coeburn left I do think PV and Coeburn have matched up. If you don't care will you post or pm me your schedule. I try to venture down there a couple times a season.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member dawgs8's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2008
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    He's really not 7 foot..more around 6'7 or 6'8

  10. #10
    Inactive Member TheSkulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2007
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Previewing Basketball (Yes, I said basketball)

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkbasketball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard Burton had a pretty talented guard that transferred from George Wythe. Any truth to that? </div></div>

    He is young but very, very, quick.... His name is Timmy Goins and he is from George Wythe. In the mold of a Doug Campbell just not that good.
    [img]http://www.mitchkuzma.com/images/Volquest/EricBerry/EricBerryHeisman300W.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •